Screen recording software is widely used in all walks of life as video tutorials are good presentations to show others a project. Searching the Internet, and you will find there are plenty of screen recorders out there but vary in functionalities.
Usually, a good screen recorder should include the following features:
Easy to use. A good screen recorder should allow users to begin the recording quickly. Without too many redundant steps, users can improve the recording efficiency.
Multifunctional. The screen recorder can not only record the screen but also record the audio, system sound, webcam, and do the screenshot. Even better, users can use it to record the mouse track and draw during the recording.
Record Fluently. This should be a must-have standard for a good screen recorder. No one wants to record a fuzzy and choppy video or audio, right? Therefore, the screen recorders we've chosen will help users record in high quality without lag.
No ads. Advertisements are so annoying when it shows up on the software. It brings a bad experience to users. A professional screen recorder must have an ad-free and clear interface.
Reasonable Price. Some screen recorders may charge an expensive price for the various functions. If you find out a versatile recorder with good design and easy to use, don't hesitate to use it!
Here are the 5 best screen recording software for Mac we select for you. You can choose one that suits your particular need to record any screen area of your Mac computer with audio.
FonePaw Screen Recorder for Mac
FonePaw Screen Recorder is a powerful and easy-to-use screen capture software for Mac computer running on Mac OS X 10.9 or above. It can not only capture screencasts or screenshots but also record webcam videos.
1. It allows users to record the screen along with a webcam and internal audio on your Mac.
3. It supports hotkeys to capture screen videos and images.
5. You can take a snapshot at any time during the recording process.
6. Export video MP4, MOV, GIF, and more with high quality so that the recorded videos can not only play on Mac but also on any other devices.
8. Ad-free. No popup windows interrupt your recording.
9. Powerful functions are offered at a reasonable price.
1. It can only work on a computer.
2. Though users can choose to record the screen along with the webcam before recording, they cannot turn on the webcam at any time during the recording process.
Quick Time Player is the default video player on Mac. Despite being a video player it can also be used as a screen recording software easily. You can choose the entire desktop or the selected area for recording on a Mac computer.
1. Without downloading other applications, you can record the entire desktop or a selected area of your Mac screen along with the audio.
2. Recording audio alone is also supported. QuickTime Player also offers several options for editing your recorded video, including trim, split, cut/copy/paste/delete, and flip/rotate the screen videos.
3. After recoding, you can share the recorded videos by Mail, Messages, AirDrop, YouTube, and other methods.
1. The editing functions are simple and basic. For example, though it allows users to trim the video, it can only remove the unwanted beginning or ending part of the video.
2. The recorded video can only be saved in limited formats supported by Apple.
3. Cannot record system sound from Mac computer.
4. For users who care much about video quality, QuickTime Play might fail to meet the need.
With powerful features and an intuitive interface, Camtasia allows you to create and share remarkable videos with minimal effort.
1. It allows you to record anything—your whole screen, a window, added video, images, audio, PowerPoint presentations, etc. on iMac and MacBook.
2. A simple timeline makes editing videos easy. Users can combine or split clips, trim, speed up or slow down footage.
3. Users can polish their recorded video by adding highlights, animation, titles, transitions, etc. All you need to do is simply dragging and dropping the effects onto the timeline.
4. In addition to recording videos, Camtasia also lets you import HD video into your recording from an external source, so that you can make further editing on it.
1. Users have to sign in before using the product.
2. The trial version is only free for 30 days.
3. It is quite pricy. It is offered for a price of $99.
Screenflow boasts that it has the best quality screen capture available, even when viewed on Retina Displays. It can help you capture any part of the Mac screen and create a professional-looking video.
1. Powerful editing tools allow you to edit after the recording is done.
2. Closed caption is supported. Users can use ScreenFlow's caption editor tool to add, edit and publish ADA Compliant soft subtitles to the videos.
3. The recorded video can be exported to an animated GIF.
1. Videos created with the free version are watermarked.
2. It costs $129, which is quite pricy and you even need to pay an extra fee to upgrade from previous versions.
Apowersoft Screen Recorder
Apowersoft is a very handy screen capture software for Mac. It can record all types of activities on your Mac screen including a video stream, self-demonstration, live chat, and more. Its flexible design enables you to create different kinds of videos.
1. It allows you to add a personal watermark to the recorded video.
2. Aside from recording the screen with audio simultaneously, you can also add a webcam into screen recording for creating an instructional video.
3. Its task scheduler enables users to set different recording tasks, presetting the recording time, recording mode, and choose whether or not to record audio and webcam.
1. Though it is functional, its video quality is a bit low, especially when recording from the webcam.
2. Users complain about its random popups of guidance covering the entire video.
3. It is not cost-effective, for the paid version costs $39.95.