A browser-based recorder usually comes with fewer features and is not suitable to record gameplay while a desktop recorder is often more advanced and packed with various useful features.
For example, FonePaw Screen Recorder, the desktop recording software we introduce here, is an almighty desktop screen and audio recorder for Windows 10/8/7 and Mac.
Apart from the ability to record the full screen, windows, certain areas, games, live streaming videos, webcam, audio (system sound & microphone voice) that average screen recorders have, the FonePaw desktop recorder stands out with many advanced features.
- Record screen videos in high definition at 60 fps;
- Enable hardware acceleration so that the computer runs more smoothly in recording gameplay or other processor-heavy screen activities;
- Save screen capture in various formats: PNG, GIF or videos (MP4, MOV, AVI, TS, etc.);
- Offer scheduled recordings to automatically record game, streaming videos;
- Add annotations in screen recording videos;
- Customizable hotkeys to control screen capture; Highlight mouse cursor in screen videos;
- Hide desktop icons during recording;
- Show countdown before filming the computer screen.
What's more, FonePaw Screen Recorder is now free to download. And unlike many other free screen recorders which add watermarks to your screen recording footage, this recorder won't add a watermark to your videos.
With a simple interface, the desktop recorder is also quite easy to use. The followings are how to record desktop screens with FonePaw Screen Recorder.
How to Record Desktop Screen
When you open FonePaw Screen Recorder, you'll find various tools in the desktop recorder: Video Recorder, Audio Recorder, Game Recorder, and so on. To take a video of a computer screen, click Video Reorder to start screen video capture.
Step 1. Select Desktop Recording Area
Toggle on the button for Display. Then click Full or Custom to select the recording region: full screen, customized area, preset frame (1080p, 720p, etc.). You can allow the recording region to move following the mouse cursor.
Step 2. Enable Webcam (Optional)
If you need to record the webcam in picture-in-picture mode, turn on the Webcam button.
Step 3. Adjust Audio Settings for Desktop Screen Recording
Turn on the buttons for System Sound and Microphone to enable the desktop recorder to record audio of the computer and microphone. Drag the slider to adjust the volume.
Step 4. Customize Recording Settings
Click More Settings, which will open the Preference panel that gives you many options. For example, you can add mouse cursor effects with different colors; allow to move the recording region during recording; select the format of the screen videos.
Step 5. Record Computer Screen
When you have set up all parameters, click REC. The desktop screen recording will begin. You can add annotations or schedule a recording with the options in the floating panel.
Click the Stop button to end the recording. You can then view the screencast. If you are satisfied, save the video on your PC.
- When FonePaw Screen Recorder is running, you can also use keyboard shortcuts to activate and stop screen video recording. The default hotkeys to start a screen video capture is Ctrl + Alt + R. The hotkeys to end a recording is Ctrl + Alt + R. You can customize the hotkeys in Settings.
Other than working as a desktop screen recorder, FonePaw Screen Recorder can also serve as a desktop audio recorder. It can record the audio of a computer, including the sound of the system and the microphone, and save it in the format of MP3, WMA, M4A, AAC, and so on.
Above is a brief introduction of the Video Recorder function of FonePaw Screen Recorder. The desktop recorder allows users to freely record the screen and the audio of the computer with simple clicks. Feel free to send us your opinions and suggestions by email or commenting below!