Top 5 Game Recorders for PC (2018)
Are you an excellent game player and eager to share with others your amazing game skills and give other players some instructions? If so, a powerful game recorder may help you fulfill your dream and win you a large audience on social media. Here are 5 best game recorders for you to choose.
FonePaw Screen Recorder
FonePaw Screen Recorder is a powerful and easy-to-use screen recording and video editing software. It can be used to record gameplay as well as any other applications on computer.
1. It can capture video along with audio from games and microphone with high quality. With FonePaw Screen Recorder, users can create an instructive gameplay tutorial to provide guidance to other players.
2. It is feasible to record screen and webcam simultaneously. This allows game players to show their fantastic skills and at the same time give a vivid commentary to their audience.
3. Equipped with hardware acceleration, the recorder can record games without lag.
4. It can be used to take screenshots at any time, even during the recording process.
5. It is also a handy video editor tool with which users are able to do basic real-time editing, for example, they can add text, arrows, callouts, etc.to the captured picture or recorded video to make their tutorial more clear to audience.
6. It allows users to define various hotkeys, which will save a lot of time during the recording process.
7. The captured screenshots or videos can be saved in various formats(MP4, MOV, F4V, GIF) and shared directly to different platforms like YouTube, Twitter, Instgram, Vimo, Flickr, etc.
8. The trial version is for free and the recorded result has no watermark on it.
1. It can only be used on PC.
2. It doesn't support broadcasting your gameplay in real time.
Fraps is one of the original game capture software. It is a universal application for Window platforms where users can record gameplay videos with the help of OpenGL and DirectX graphic technology.
1. It is an excellent real-time video capture software that can capture audio and video up to 7680x4800 with custom frame rates from 1 to 120 frames per second.
2. It can also be used as a Benchmarking software. It helps users to get complete information about frame per second while recording game videos. By using this feature, users can measure the frame rate at any two points. Save the statistics to a file, then it can be used for further review or other applications.
3. Fraps also allows capturing screenshots at specific intervals. With the press of a key, then a screenshot will be taken and automatically named and timestamped.
1. The free version is severely limited. Users can only record game for 30 seconds at a stretch, and the resulting video will be watermarked with the developer's URL.
2. The free version of Fraps is also restricted to saving still screenshots in BMP format, whereas other software can save them as much smaller compressed JPG files.
3. Fraps occupies a lot of memory. A 2-minute video recording may take up 3.95 GB on disk, which means that video recorded in Fraps would need to be converted and compressed before sharing on YouTube or other video sharing platforms.
Bandicam claims itself the leader among all the screen capture, video recording and editing software. Bandicam offers three modes of operation, namely "Game Recording", "Screen Recording" and "Device Recording".
1. The Game Recording mode of Bandicam works best with most games, specifically those with DirectX, OpenGL, or Vulkan graphic technologies. It is also compatible with iTunes games, Windows Media Player, most webcams, HDTV, and other 3D applications.
2. With Bandicam, you can record superior quality, 4K Ultra HD video with resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 and a maximum frame rate of 120 frames per second.
3. Bandicam occupies much less of CPU, GPU and HDD while recording, which results in little latency.
4. Players can enjoy recoding even for 24 hours continuously; they can also view the frames per second being captured and adjust it while playing.
5. Bandicam compresses the video as it is recording, which results not only in better gameplay performance, but also in much smaller final file size. Users can upload the video to social media without further conversion.
1. Bandicam has no integrated video editing tool. Users have to pay extra $29 for its video editor. Though the free version is available, it will place a watermark on the video.
2. The trial version can only record at most 10 minutes of video with a watermark on it, and the paid version is not cheap at all. It costs $39.
3. Though Bandicam is rich-featured, some functions are not easy to use for new hand.
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio is a free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. It enables you to work with multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, etc., mix them together and create one seamless broadcast.
1. The most impressive feature of OBS Studio is that it is an open source and is one hundred percent free to use. There are no limitations come with free versions of commercial screen capture software.
2. It is not only a screen recorder, it can also stream gameplay directly to Twitch, YouTube, or other services. It can record from many sources including screens, media files and attached cameras and microphones, etc. And if you are streaming, you can also switch between sources on the fly.
3. With real-time video and audio mixing and capturing, as well as unlimited numbers of scenes to switch between via custom transitions, users are able to create a dynamic stream with ease.
4. OBS has filters that allow users to use chroma keying, masking and color correction; it also has an intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain.
5. The easy-to-use configuration options allow users to add new sources, duplicate existing ones and adjust their properties effortlessly.
1. There is not much help and guidance for users. It would take users some time to familiarize themselves with the product. New hands especially find it a matter of trial and error to run this software.
2. OBS Studio does not work on Windows XP, and is unable to link to an audio file as a source.
Windows Game DVR
Windows 10 includes a native feature called Game DVR. It is very convenient for windows 10 users to record their gameplay.
1. Game DVR enables windows10 users to record gameplay directly without having to download separate application. To get started, open Windows 10's native Xbox app and click on the settings cog icon on the bottom of the left rail. Click Game DVR from the top menu under Settings and turn on the slider labeled Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR. Shortcuts are also available. Users only need to press the Windows key+ G to call up the Game Bar and then hit the record button to start the recording.
2. Windows10 Game DVR can automatically start recording while you're playing. All you need to do is to go to the setting panel and activate Record in the background while I'm playing a game.
3. It also allows users to schedule the recording time ranging from 30 minutes to 4 hours. Users can choose to record audio along with video and adjust the system sound and microphone volume. The frame rate and video quality can be preset, too.
1. It is limited to Windows 10 and Mixer streaming. There is no way to stream recorded video directly to Twitch or YouTube, though Windows 10 lets users stream to Microsoft's own Mixer service.
2. The frame rates can only be customized at either 30fps or 60fps. It is not suitable for recording games that have higher framerates.
3. Users complain that the shortcut sometimes fails to work and the Game Bar fails to appear. Though its function is fantastic, it would be of no use if players fail to use the Game Bar to record the exciting gameplay.
- Hot Articles
- How to Capture Your Gameplay on iPad Pro/Air/Mini
- Easy Ways to Capture Gameplay on Windows 10
- How to Record Gameplay On Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
- How to Play iOS Games & Apps on PC
- How to Record Minecraft PE Gameplay on iPhone, iPad and PC
- No Lag Screen Recorder for PC, Mac, iPhone and Android
- OBS Black Screen in Game Capture or Display Capture, How to Fix?