Updated on Friday, September 27, 2019
Summary: This post will reveal the best data recovery wizard which helps you recover lost or deleted data from different storage devices such as internal & external hard drives, pen drives, memory cards, etc.
When you accidentally delete or lose data such as photos, email, document and videos from PC or Mac, a data recovery software is your best, or sometimes, the only chance to get lost files back. Below we'll pick and show the top 5 data recovery software for PC and Mac.
# 1. FonePaw Data Recovery
For novices and non-technical users, FonePaw Data Recovery (opens new window) is the obvious first choice among data recovery software. It helps to recover data from storage devices with the file system NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, EXT, and more. The app provides two scanning mode: quick scan and deep scan. You’re able to utilize a simplified scan with the quick scan mode. If you cannot discover the deleted data, then you can try a more thorough scan on the hard drive. If you want to try the software before you buy, a trial version is available.
This data recovery software is available to free download now!
- Extremely easy to use
- Recovers files from many different file systems
- Compared with other data recovering tools, FonePaw Data Recovery has the capability to scan the deleted files with faster speed.
- The advanced filter allows searching by date, size, and extension, etc.
- Can preview files before recovering them
- No portable version available and it must be installed on the hard drive
# 2. Recuva
Recuva is one of the better free file recovery software options available. Developed by Piriform, Recuva recovers pictures, music, documents, videos, emails or any other file type you’ve lost from your Windows PC, recycle bin, digital camera card, MP3 player and so on. It offers a free file recovery version as well as a professional but paid data recovery software.
- Both installable and portable versions are available
- The app isn't difficult to use and there are no confusing settings or screens
- Supports a wide range of Windows operating systems
- Other programs might be added on your computer when installing the app
- Its download page is confusing
# 3. Disk Drill
Disk Drill is an ideal program for recovering deleted files from your computer. With lots of versions of Windows supported, Disk Drill is also available for Mac OS X. It also offers many advanced features. For example, you can preview image files before recovering them, pause scans and resume them later, and even save the scan results so that you can import them again for later use without having to rescan the entire drive.
- Very easy to use
- Available for both Windows and macOS
- Only 500 MB of data can be recovered for free
- No portable version and you have to install it to your hard drive
- Doesn't show a file's condition for the scanned-out data
# 4. Minitool Power Data Recovery
With a very clean and straightforward interface, the Minitool Data Recovery app is an awesome file recovery program which is available to free download. Both Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Mac users can install this Minitool software. You're able to preview files before recovering them and multiple files can be undeleted at the same time. Anyway, it's worthwhile to have it downloaded and installed on your computer.
- Shows remarkable recovery quality/condition.
- Recover files from not only HHD/SSD drive, but also USB flash drive, memory card and more.
- User-friendly interface.
- Only 1GB of data can be freely recovered. If you want to get more data back, you need to pay for it.
# 5. Stellar Data Recovery Software
Stellar Data Recovery is another great, unique files undelete software. It's very easy to use and even a novice can use it in no time. You can deal with all aspects of data loss such as accidental media formatting, disk corruption, and unintentional deletion of files with this best data recovery app. In addition, you'll also see lots of advanced options if you need them. If you are annoying with data loss, you are advised to download the Stellar Data Recovery and have a try on your own.
- Supports the common file systems used by Windows and Mac
- Allows you to define new file types that it isn't already capable of finding
- The price is higher when compared with other software in the market
- It takes a comparatively long time to scan data
The above five data recovery apps are the most impressive and great software among the recovery programs in the market I tested. If you want to recover deleted or lost data from hard drive, you can download the best data recovery software for your case and try it yourself!