How to Move WhatsApp Media to SD Card (Proven Tips)
Updated on April 17, 2018: Added a part "Note: How to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Media on SD Card"
One problem that has troubled WhatsApp users is the struggling between limited internal storage and countless fun videos and pictures. We receive new videos and images on WhatsApp everyday and can store these media files nowhere except internal memory on our phone, due to some "technical hurdle" as it is explained on WhatsApp.com. So does it leave us no choice but delete some media files when our phone internal memory is low? Not really. This post is going to introduce you a simple method to move WhatsApp media to SD card so that your phone internal memory can be freed up.
- Method 1: Move WhatsApp Media to SD Card via File Manager
- Method 2: Move WhatsApp Media to SD Card without Rooting
- Note: How to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Media on SD Card
STEP 1: Launch the file manager app on your phone. If you don't have one, you can find some useful file manager apps (ES File Explorer File Manager, for example) on Google Play and download one.
STEP 2: On file manger app, open the internal storage files, from which you will find a folder named WhatsApp.
STEP 3: Open the WhatsApp folder, find the Media folder, and cut the folder.
STEP 4: Create a new folder on SD card named WhatsApp. Open the new folder and paste the media files from internal memory into it.
The method is very straightforward. You should try it by yourself. Before you start to put the method into practice, here is a little heads up: the method aims at helping Android users to better manage their WhatsApp media files and you can’t set it as the default option to move media to external memory.
The other way to move WhatsApp to SD card without rooting is using a computer. To so this, you need a USB cable that is compatible with your Android so that you can connect the device into computer. Now, let’s see how to change WhatsApp storage to SD card in Samsung, for example.
STEP 1: You need to connect your Android to PC via a USB cable. Make sure that the device is well detected by the computer.
STEP 2: On your computer, go to phone device folder and find out the "WhatsApp" folder from internal memory folder. Then copy the WhatsApp media folder.
STEP 3: Now, paste the folder in SD memory card folder. Then the job is done!
Once you have accidentally deleted the WhatsApp medis files on SD card, the data can still be retrieved. The WhatsApp media is saved in a folder so you can use FonePaw Data Recovery to scan and find the folder back.
1. Launch the program and then connect a card reader with your SD card to the computer.
2. Select data types and path to go on. As for WhatsApp media, here suggest you choose ALL to scan since it contains lots of different file formats.
3. When you preview the results, please choose Path List to check because it categorizes the files according to the folder not the format.
4. As you get WhatsApp folder or the folder that you have moved to SD card before, you can choose it to restore on PC.
If you have any problem when trying to move WhatsApp media to SD card and release your phone storage, please drop us a comment below to let us know!
Thank you for providing feedback!
- Hot Articles
- How to Recover WhatsApp Chat History on iPhone
- How to Extract WhatsApp Messages from iPhone Backup
- How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to Android
- Backing up your WhatsApp on Google Drive: Why and How
- SD Card Is Blank or Has Unsupported File System, How to Fix It and Recover Data?