Updated at Wednesday, September 25, 2019
iOS 13 is here. It only takes 3 steps to get the iOS update over the air(OTA): open Settings, tap General > Software Update, choose Install Now. However, the OTA software update doesn't go well all the time. Some users are unable to install iOS 13 update on their iPhone XS/XR/X8/8 Plus/7/7 Plus/6s/6s Plus/SE. If iOS 13 update also fails to download on your iPhone, please read on.
1) Failed to reach Apple's update server. When trying to download iOS 13 update on your iPhone, it gives one of these errors:
"Software Update Failed: An error occurred downloading iOS 13";
"Unable to Install Update: An error occurred installing iOS 13".
2) It takes a long time to download the iOS update. How long does the iOS 13 update take? Well, it depends on the size of the update and your current internet speed. If you're upgrading from iOS 11 to the latest iOS 13, the iOS 13 update could be over 2GB, while the update from one iOS 13 version to another, for example, from iOS 13 to iOS 13.1, will be something around 200 MB. Thus the time to complete iOS 11 updates could vary from 5 minutes to 2 hours.
3) There is not enough space for the iOS update on your iPhone. It won't be a problem for a new device like iPhone XS, XR. But if you are using an older 32 GB iPhone 6s, you may need to make room for the iOS 13 update.
4) You have iOS 13 beta update on your iPhone 7/7 Plus. If you haven't deleted the previous update, you may won't receive the newest OTA update.
5) You have a weak or unstable network connection.
6) iOS 13 update never completes and the iPhone gets stuck at Apple logo with progress bar. (How to Fix iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo)
1. Reboot iPhone and Download iOS 11 Update Again
Whenever you fail to download or install an iOS update, try to reboot your iPhone first.
Simply power off and on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. If the iPhone is stuck during the iOS 11 update, force restart the iPhone:
For iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus or earlier, press and hold on the Sleep/Wake + Home buttons until the Apple logo appears.
For iPhone 7/7 Plus, press and hold on the Power + Volume Down button.
On iPhone XS/XR/X/8, first press and release the Volume Up button, then press and release the Volume Down button. Hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
After the iPhone reboots, try to get the iOS 11 update again.
2. Keep Your iPhone Connected to a Strong Wi-Fi
A strong Wi-Fi is critical for iOS OTA (over the air) update. When the network is poor, you are liable to get the ‘Verify Update', ‘Software Update Failed' error or the iOS 13 update will take forever to complete. When the update takes too long or the iPhone fails to connect to Apple server, try switching to a faster Wi-Fi.
Also, it is better to keep the iPhone connected to a power source during the iOS 13 OTA update so that the iPhone won't fail to download the update because of battery drain.
3. Delete Previous iOS Update
If you are unable to download/install the latest iOS 13 on iPhone, try to delete the previous iOS update, such as iOS 13 beta.
Open Settings, choose General > iPhone Storage.
Wait until the list of apps is loaded. Scroll down and find the iOS update.
Tap the update and choose Delete Update.
You can also delete the iOS 11 beta version from Settings > General > Profile > Delete Profile. After deleting the previous update, you can now re-download and install the newest iOS 11.
4. Make Space for iOS 11 Update
If your iPhone is a 32 GB version, you may want to make enough space for iOS update. Normally, when there is not enough room for download and install iOS 13 update, the iPhone will automatically remove app data to free up more space. If it is lack of storage, you need manually free up storage:
In iOS 11/12: Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
5. Update iOS 13 with iTunes
If your iPhone still won't update to iOS 13, you may want to give up over the air (OTA) update and turn to iTunes. Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to the latest version of iTunes on your computer and get your device updated to the latest iOS version.
6. Update to iOS 13 without iTunes or OTA
If you fail to download and install iOS 13 update over the air while iTunes is not an option for you, you can also download and install iOS 13 update via FonePaw iOS System Recovery. Download iOS 13 updates with iOS System Recovery is a more preferable option because:
You can avoid the overloaded Apple server and get the iOS 13 update more quickly. You can choose not only the newest iOS update but all the available iOS versions for your iPhone. iOS System Recovery also can be used to fix frozen/bricked/dead iPhone.
Download iOS System Recovery on your Windows/Mac.DownloadDownload
Launch iOS System Recovery on your computer and connect your iPhone to the program.
And click Start to begin. The program will detect and identify your iPhone. Click Optimize.
Make sure the info match with your devices and choose the iOS 13 version that you want. Click Download to download the needed firmware file.
Click Next and the program will begin to update your iPhone to the iOS 13 version. After the update, your iPhone will reboot.
Whether to get the iOS 13 over the air or install the iOS 13 via iTunes/iOS System Recovery, you should make a backup of all your important data on your iPhone before the update just in case anything bad may happen during the update.