Some iOS devices, especially older models like iPhone 5s/SE/ fourth-generation iPad, get problematic after upgrading to iOS 11, e.g., the battery drains abnormally fast, the device gets laggy when opening apps. To fix these problems, you can downgrade your iPhone, iPad from iOS 11.1.1 to iOS 11.1/11.0.X.This piece will walk you through the whole process of uninstall iOS 11.1.1 and revert to iOS 11.1/11.0.X.
Tip: If Apple has stopped signing the files for the older iOS version, you may not downgrade to the ideal version, Thus, you cannot dowagrade iOS 11 to iOS 10.3.3 now.
- What You Should Know Before Rollback iPhone Update
- Steps to Downgrade iOS 11.1.1 to iOS 11.1/11.0.X with iTunes
- Uninstall iOS 11 Update and Get Back to iOS 11.1 without iTunes
1. To downgrade your iPhone/iPad, you need to download a suitable IPSW file. If Apple stop signing the file, you are unable to downgrade your device. Currently, Apple has stopped signing the file for iOS 10.3.X. Therefore, you can only go back to iOS 10.3.3 but not the older version.
2. Backup important data on your iPhone and iPad to computer before downgrading the device. Downgrading will erase all data on your device, so it is important that you have backup. Also, you can't restore a iOS 11 backup to your iPhone after you downgrade to the older version. Therefore, you better make a copy of important photos or other files on computer or use FonePaw iOS Data Backup & Restore to backup iPhone data to your computer.
3. Make sure your have latest iTunes installed on your computer. And also go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone/iPad on your iOS device.
Step 1. Download the Right IPSW File
To reverse iOS 11 update, firstly, you should download iOS 11.1 IPSW file on your computer. Here is the link. It is important that you have download the right file for your iPhone/iPad. For example, if you are using an iPhone 6s. Choose iPhone 6s and then select iOS 11.1 from the signed IPSW. Upzipped the file if needed.
Step 2. Put Your iPhone into DFU Mode
It is needed to get your device into DFU mode when downgrading iOS 11, but how to get it done?
1. Press and hold on the Power + Home button for about 10 seconds.
2. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for about 15 seconds.
3. The iPhone screen will turn black, which is not non-responsive. When you connect to iTunes, it will detect your device and give you a pop-up asking you to tap "OK".
Note: If you cannot enter DFU mode successfully, just try the steps above again. Then, connect your device to iTunes and let it recognize your iPhone/iPad.
Step 3. Downgrading iOS Device to iOS 11.1
Choose your device on iTunes.
If you are using a Windows PC, hold down the Shift key and click "Restore iPhone...".
If your iTunes is on a Mac, hold down alt/option click on Mac and click "Restore iPhone...".
A window will pop up and allow you to choose the IPSW file that you just downloaded. Choose the file and click Open. iTunes will prompt that it will erase and restore your iPhone on iOS 11. Click OK to continue to uninstall iOS 11 update on your iPhone/iPad.
Step 4. Downgrading to iOS 11.1 Successfully
You'll need to enter passcode on your iPhone/iPad. Then the device will begin to installing iOS 11.1, showing an Apple Logo with progress bar. Wait till your iPhone restarts. Now your iPhone gets back to iOS 11.1 or 11.0.X.
If iTunes can't recognize your device or you don't have iTunes installed on your computer, you can use iOS System Recovery to downgrade your iPhone/iPad from the latest iOS 11 to 11.1. The program is originally used for repairing bricked, frozen or broken iOS devices. It can also work as a tool to undo iOS update and revert to previous iOS, for example, downgrade iOS 11.1.1 to iOS 11.1.
Click the download button below to get iOS System Recovery on your PC.
Step 1. Download suitable IPSW file on your Mac or Windows PC.
Step 2. Put your iPhone/iPad in DFU mode. If your device is older than iPhone 7/7 Plus, read this guide to enter DFU mode on your device. If you are using an iPhone 7/7 Plus, follow these steps:
Use lightning cable to connect your iPhone or iPad to computer.
Power off your iPhone 7/7 Plus. Then press the power button on the right for 3 seconds.
Press and hold the volume down button while still holding the power button. Holding both buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
Release power button and keep holding volume down button for 5 seconds. Release the button, if the screen is black, then you have entered DFU mode successfully. Do not confuse Recovery mode with DFU mode.
Step 3. Launch iOS System Recovery and choose More Tools > iOS System Recovery. Click Start to continue. The program will detect that your device is in DFU mode, and click Confirm to continue.
Step 4. The program will display the information of your iOS device. Just in case, check if the information is right. Then click Select on the bottom to choose the IPSW file that you have downloaded. And click Repair to begin downgrading your iPhone/iPad to iOS 11.1.
Step 5. Your device will reboot after the downgrading is completed. The iOS 11 update is removed and your iPhone/iPad is reversed to iOS 11.1.
If you have any question the downgrading process, leave a comment below.