How to Put iPhone in Recovery Mode
Updated on October 23, 2017: Adds some tips about entering iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 Recovery mode.
There are certain situations you need to put your iPhone in recovery mode. Perhaps it freezes, it keeps restarting continuously, it is not being recognized by iTunes or you were attempting to jailbreak it (or you already did) and need to restore it to its original state. Whatever is the reason, putting iPhone in recovery mode will allow you to restore your device while at the same time getting rid of these issues.
However, do you know that you'll lose all the data on your iPhone when you perform a recovery mode restoration? Please make sure to backup your iPhone before restoring iPhone. If you've taken a back up of your device using iTunes or iCloud, FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery can help you to restore iPhone from backup.
- Part 1: How to Put iPhone in Recovery Mode
- Part 2: How to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup
- Part 3: How to Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup
1. Plug your iPhone's USB cable to your computer's USB port. Do not plug it to your iPhone yet.
2. Turn off iPhone by pressing and holding Sleep/Wake button (at the top right of your device) for a few seconds until the red slider to turn your iPhone off appears. Slide it and wait until your iPhone is completely off.
If you cannot turn off your iPhone in normal way, press and hold both Sleep/Wake and Home buttons all at the same time. You iPhone will finally turn off too.
3. Plus your iPhone with the computer. Now, you have to keep holding the Home button until on your iPhone screen pop ups a message which asks you to connect to iTunes.
Note: The way above to enter recovery mode works for iPhone 6s and the former. If you are using iPhone 7 or iPhone 8, that is not suitable for you. Thus, please check:
iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold Volume Down and Power button after turning off the iPhone 7. Just keep holding these two buttons until "Connect to iTunes" appears.
iPhone 8/8 Plus: Power off the device. Press and release Volume up button and then do this again on Volume Down button. Then, keep pressing the Side button until you see the recovery mode occurs.
4. Once you connect to iTunes, you should be shown a popup message that says that there is an iPhone or iPad which is into Recovery Mode and that first needs to be restored in order to use it. Then click on OK to restore iPhone.
Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device. If you previously synced with iTunes or iCloud, you might be able to restore iPhone from backup.
Free Download the trial version of FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery and begin to restore your iPhone.
1. Choose the iTunes backup to scan
After downloading the program, install and launch it on your computer. Then choose "Recover from iTunes Backup File", you will see the backup files displayed on your computer. Select the backup file you wanted and click "Start Scan" to extract the content from your iPhone backup file.
2. Preview and recover iPhone data from iTunes backup file
When the scan is over, you will find all the backup file are listed and displayed in categories. Before the recovery, you are allowed to preview them one by one. Then choose the data you want to restore and click "Recover" to save them on your computer.
1. Choose "Recover from iCloud Backup File"
After launching the program choose the third recovery mode - "Recover from iCloud Backup Files". Then, you will see the main interface as below. Enter your iCloud account and password to sign in.
2. Download iCloud backup files
When you success logged into iCloud, the program can find all iCloud backup files that you have backed up. Choose the one you need and click on the "Download" button to download iCloud backup files. After downloading, the program will scan the downloaded files automatically.
3. Preview and restore data from the iCloud backup
After scanning, you can preview all iCloud backup files, such as contacts, text messages, photos, videos and more. If you want to recover all of them at once, please click the "Recover" button to recover all iCloud Backup data, and save them on your computer with one click.
FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery is competent to recover photos, videos, contacts, SMS, call history, app data etc, from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. What's greater about this software is that you need only one click to get iPhone out of recovery mode, Apple logo, and DFU mode.
Thank you for providing feedback!
- Recovery Mode Troubleshooting
- iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
- iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode
- iPod Touch Stuck in Recovery Mode
- Save Data If Stuck at Recovery Mode
- Recovery Mode Basic Guide
- Difference about Recovery/DFU Mode
- Introduction about Recovery Mode
- When to Use Recovery Mode
- Get Out of Recovery Mode
- Fix Problems via Recovery Mode