As the proverb goes, "Preparedness averts peril." A backup of your Android contacts is the preparedness that prevents your phone number book from permanent loss. Even the most dependable Android phone such as Samsung Galaxy S10/S9/S9+/S8/S7/S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy Note 9/8, Google Nexus 6/5/4, LG G6/G5/G4, HTC One U11/M9/M8, etc. cannot avoid contacts loss. When you wrongly tap on the "Delete" button, format, or factory reset your Android phone, data will be erased. Before that, go to your phone and back up Android contacts to Gmail/Outlook.
People Also Read:
Sync Contacts to Gmail on Android
You can directly save contacts to Gmail on your Android phone.
1) Press the menu button > "Settings" > "Accounts and sync" > "Add account" > "Google" > "Next" > "Sign in".
2) Enter your Gmail login information. If you don't already have a Gmail account, tap the "Create" button instead and fill in the form provided.
3) Tap the "Sign in" > "Sync Contacts" > "Finish". You can then transfer your contacts to Gmail.
4) If you lose and mistakenly delete contacts later, you can then restore lost contacts on Gmail by Restore Contacts feature.
5) If you don't want to add Gmail account on your phone, you can back up Android contacts to Google Gmail on your computer.
Back up Android Contacts to Gmail on PC
Before importing contacts to Gmail on your computer, you need to transfer the contacts from the Android to PC.
To export contacts from Android to PC: on your Android phone, enter "Contacts" > menu button > "Import/Export" > "Export to USIM Card/ storage" > "OK".
Step 1. Log into Gmail
Sign in to Gmail with your account and the password. After that, click on the triangle icon and expand the list. Choose "Contacts > More > Import". Then choose "GO TO OLD CONTACTS > Import Contacts". Contacts will be imported as VCF format.
Step 2. Select and Import Contacts to Gmail
Select contacts in VCF/VCard format in your computer. Then click "Open". When the pop up as below occurs, select "Import".
Check the Gmail, you can see all the imported contacts displayed in the list.
Tip: to retrieve Google backup contacts, you can export the contacts from Gmail to PC, then import the contacts to your Android phone.
Step 1: Export Android Contacts in CSV File
Download FonePaw Android Data Recovery here:
Run the program > Connect Android phone to PC > Select "Contacts" and "Next" > Tap "Allow/Grant/Authorize" > Click "Contacts" > Mark items you want > Click "Recover". Then, you can get your Android contacts in a CSV file.
Then you should begin to import contacts to Outlook 2007/2010/2013/2016.
Step 2. Open Outlook
Go to "File". Scroll down to "Open". Then click on "Import". This will open up a window asking you which action you would like to perform.
Step 3. Import Contacts to Outlook From Excel/CSV
There are multiple programs you can import contacts from, such as an iCalendar, internet mail, RSS feeds, and others. Highlight "Import from another program or file" and click "Next".
This opens another window that asks what type of file you want to import from, with options like Lotus, Microsoft Access, Excel and others. Choose "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" or CSV, which is the most common option chosen because it is a relatively simple file format that is widely supported by many applications. Once your option is selected, click "Next".
Step 4. Select Contacts to Import
There will be a third window where you can browse for the file you want to import. If you already have contacts in Outlook, you may want to check off "Do not import duplicate items". This way, any contacts that already exist in your Outlook contacts list will be excluded from the import. Then select "Next". Then make sure the "Contacts" folder is highlighted and click "Next".
Step 5. Change Contact Settings
Sometimes contacts do not import the way you would like, so this is the step in which you can manually change the settings so that your contacts look the way you want them too.
When done, click "Finish". And after a few moments, your contacts will now be imported into Outlook.
That's it. You have made a copy of contacts on Gmail and Outlook. When you accidentally delete your contacts in the Android phone, you can export contacts from Gmail and Outlook. Or you can recover deleted contacts via FonePaw Android Data Recovery.
- Hot Articles
- How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Mac
- How to Restore Lost Contacts from Galaxy S7/S6/S5/S4
- How to Back up Contacts from Samsung Phones to Computer
- How to Backup Contacts from Android Phone to PC
- How to Manage Your Contacts on iCloud Web Page
- How to Block & Unblock WhatsApp Contacts in iPhone
- How to Back Up Videos on Android Phones/Tablets
- Backup Android to PC: 3 Best Android Backup and Restore Software for PC
- [Solved] FaceTime Icon Greyed Out in Contacts