Read this post if you find yourself in one of the following situations:
- You forgot the iPhone passcode and want to delete the password;
- You need to reset old iPhone 6/7/8/X for sale or giving away.
- iPhone is frozen, disabled or locked and needs to be restored with iTunes.
- You got a second-hand iPhone with password.
Resetting iPhone to factory setting can solve the problems mentioned above. In this article, I will show you three ways on how to factory reset an iPhone without password or iTunes. What you should notice is that all your iPhone data will be erased after a factory reset. Therefore, it is important to back up your iOS device (opens new window)before doing a reset if the data in the iPhone is important to you.
People Also Read:
If your iPhone is disabled or locked after entering a wrong password many times and it is unable to reset your iPhone with iTunes, then you can try a professional iPhone factory reset tool - FonePaw iOS System Recovery (opens new window).
FonePaw iOS System Recovery can help you factory reset iPhone and fix lots of common problems of iOS without iTunes. For instance, you can use this program to wipe a locked iPhone or fix the iPhone back to normal status when it is stuck into recovery mode, frozen status, DFU mode, Apple Logo, etc. The software works with iPhone 6/7/8/X/11.
Here are some simple steps to erase your iPhone. Begin by installing the program on your computer.
Step 1: Launch the software.
Step 2: Click iOS System Recovery > Start to get started.
Step 3: Select Advanced Mode to factory reset iPhone without passcode and click Confirm.
Step 4: Get your iPhone and the computer connected with a lightning cable and follow the on-screen instructions to put your iOS device into recovery mode/DFU mode.
Step 5: Check the model info of your iPhone. After that, click Repair and the firmware will be downloaded to unlock your iPhone.
When it shows Repair completed, your iPhone has been factory reset and it will restart and unlock.
If you don't have a passcode of your iPhone and have no access to a computer right now, you can factory reset your iPhone by using iCloud. This method requires that Find My Phone has been enabled in your iOS device. If you haven't enabled this feature, then you can skip to other ways in this article. To reset your iPhone to factory settings without passcode by using iCloud:
- Log in to iCloud.com on the computer with your Apple ID and password.
- Click Find My Phone and hit All Device to select the device you want to erase.
- Tap Erase iPhone in the device's info window. This will factory reset your iPhone.
To erase iPhone without password, you can also use Apple's software, iTunes. If have synced your iPhone with iTunes and backed up your iPhone, you can restore your iPhone data from the backup after the reset. Get iTunes on your Mac or PC, then follow the steps to erase your iPhone without password via iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable that came with your iPhone.
- Run iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC, then click Summary.
- In the Summary tab, click the Restore iPhone option.
- Click on Restore for confirmation.
Then iTunes will factory reset your iPhone and install the latest iOS software. When the process is completed, you can access your iPhone without passcode.
Note: You'll have to install new updates checked by iTunes before resetting your iPhone.