It is really frustrating that your Galaxy S6/S5's screen gets broken, but what is done is done. Instead of upsetting about the broken phone, you probably need to focus on minimizing your losses right now.
- If you are thinking about getting a new phone, find a solution of How to Recover Files from Galaxy S6/S5 with Broken Screen (opens new window);
- If you want to give the broken device another shot, you need tips on How to Repair a Broken Front/Back Screen on Galaxy S6/S5 (opens new window).
# How to Recover Files from Galaxy S6/S5 with Broken Screen
The touch screen usually stops working after the front screen is broken in your Galaxy S6/S5, which makes you unable to access the phone and get the phone data off the device. Therefore, you need a solution that allows you to retrieve data from the broken device without USB debugging.
Broken Android Data Extraction (opens new window) is a perfect solution for the problem. This program for Windows PC can detect a broken Samsung device without USB debugging and then extract photos, contacts, messages, videos, etc. from it. Currently, the program supports Samsung device including S4/S5/S6/Note3/Note4/Note5/Tab Pro 10.1.
Click this download button to get the free trial version of Broken Android Data Extraction. Here are specific steps of how to perform broken screen data recovery on Samsung Galaxy.
Step 1. Launch Broken Android Data Extraction on your PC and connect your broken Galaxy S6/S5 to the PC.
Step 2. The program will promptly detect the connected Galaxy phone and show this pop-up window. Click Broken Android Data Extraction.
Step 3. You'll be provided with two option: Start or Fix Device. Click Start to recover data from broken device.
Step 4. Choose the device name and model of your Galaxy S6/S5 and confirm. Then follow the guide in the program to put the S6/S5 into Download mode.
Step 5. When the device is in the download mode, the program will download recovery package to recover the device. Please wait patiently.
Step 6. Then the program will continue to scan data out of your broken S6/S5. When the progress bar reaches 100%, you can view the data and select those that you need to recover them to your PC.
# How to Repair a Broken Front/Back Screen on Galaxy S6/S5
If your Galaxy S6/S5 still functions except that the front or back screen is broken, you can repair the phone by replacing the defective screen with a new one. Before the screen replacement, you should get important data off the broken phone first, in case that anything may go wrong in the replacement.
It is better to have the professionals to perform the replacement, but it will cost you hundreds bucks. As of this writing, one broken screen replacement in Samsung for Galaxy S6/S5 costs more than $200. If you turn to third-party repair shop, it will be cheaper and charge between $100 and $250.
Of course, you can buy a new screen and do the replacement at home by yourself, but make sure you'll be really careful in the process.
- Take out the SIM card and SIM card tray.
- With a suction cup, remove battery cover.
- If you need to replace the back screen, you can install the new back screen now. If you need to replace a front screen, then go on with following steps.
- After the phone is open, unscrew the screws in the rear housing and remove the rear housing.
- Then you need to separate the motherboard from the phone.
- Remove the battery and other small components like ear speaker, front camera.
- Remove the front screen and install the new one.
Note: The actual process is much more complicated. If you know nothing about electronics, DIY is not a good option for you.