If you want to record a high-quality iPhone/iPad screen video for a presentation, demonstration, tutorial or gaming, you better record the screen video on PC or Mac. To capture and record iPhone and iPad screen on Mac, you can use Apple's built-in QuickTime player for free. If you need to record iPhone/iPad display on Windows PC, there is an easy-to-use iPad/iPhone screen recorder for you.
Without jailbreaking your iPhone/iPad and with no need to download third-party app on your iOS device, this post will show you how to record the screen of your iPhone X/8/7/6/6s/6 Plus/5s, iPad Pro/Mini/Air on PC and Mac.
The default media player Quicktime on Mac/MacBook enables you to easily record video of what's on your iPhone/iPad screen. To film iPhone/iPad screen video with QuickTime, you'll need:
- An iMac or MacBook running on OS X Yosemite and above;
- iPhone/iPad running on iOS 8 and above;
- A lightning cable to connect iOS device to Mac.
Note: QuickTime usually records screen at 30 FPS. To record screen at higher frame rate, such as 60 FPS, instead of using QuickTime, you should use FonePaw ScreenMo (opens new window).
Steps to Record iPhone/iPad Screen on Mac
Step 1 Connect your iPhone/iPad to Mac with a lightning cable. The iPhone may prompt you to trust the computer, tap "Trust".
Step 2 Launch QuickTime player on your Mac and choose File > New Movie Recording from the menus bar.
Step 3 Click arrow down icon to bring out the drop-out menu. Choose your iPhone/iPad camera and and choose iPhone/iPad microphone if you also need to record screen video with audio.
Step 4 The iPhone/iPad screen will be mirrored to Mac. Click Record button to begin recording a video of what's on your device screen.
- You may notice that when recording iPhone/iPad video, QuickTime automatically replaces the real-time status bar with a clean one showing 9:41 am, 100% battery and full cellular connection.
- As you are recording the iPhone/iPad screen, if you rotate the device screen, the video aspect ratios on QuickTime will change accordingly.
Step 5 When you have done recording, tap Record button again stop the screen recording. You can then click File > Save to save the screen video locally. Or You canclick Share button to share the screen recording video to YouTube, Mail and more.
If QuickTime iPhone/iPad Screen Recording Not Working
Quite a few users have reported iPhone/iPad screen recording on QuickTime not working problem. Some of them got "the operation could not be completed" error. If you also have the problem, please:
- Restart your iPhone/iPad and have a try once again;
- Recall if you have recently updated the device. Some users found them unable to record iPhone or iPad screen with QuickTime after recently updating to iOS 11. There may be some bugs with the new update. Wait till the next update to fix the problem. Or turn to other iOS screen recorder as a workaround.
To capture video of iPhone/iPad screen on Windows PC, you need a good screen recorder for iPhone/iPad. And FonePaw ScreenMo (opens new window) is one of best screen recording applications iOS devices. It can:
- Capture and record screen of all iPhone/iPad running on iOS 11 to iOS 6, including the newest iPhone X/8/8 Plus and the earlier iPhone 5/4/4s;
- Connect iOS device to PC wirelessly without USB cables;
- Mirror your iPhone/iPad to larger display in real time;
- Record high-quality iPhone/iPad screen video with sound, such as videos of gameplay, stream video, demonstration etc.
To record iPhone/iPad screen on PC, you should:
Step 1 Download and install iOS Screen Recorderon your PC.
Step 2 Connect your iPhone/iPad and computer to the same Wi-Fi. And launch the screen recorder.
Step 3 The program will have step-to-step guide to show you how to start screen recording on your iPhone/iPad:enable Screen Mirroring > select FonePaw iOS Screen Recorder. Follow the guide to finish the step.
Step 4 Click Record button to start recording your iPhone/iPad screen.
Step 5 When you have done recording, click Record button to end the recording. Once the recording is ended, the export window pops up, where you can name the screen video, select the folder to save the video. Click Start Export to save the screen video on PC.
One great thing about recording iPhone/iPad screen with Mac/Win is that you can edit the video with professional video editing tool on your computer. FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate (opens new window) will be a great helper for editing the recorded video. The program is availble for both Mac and Win computer. With the program, you can:
- Trim a video clip and get rid of the unneeded part of the video, such as the action of starting/ending the recording.
- Crop the video to delete unnecessary information.
- Convert the video to other format.
- Add your watermark.
- Enhance the video quality by adjusting contrast, brightness and more.
Other question about recording iPhone/iPad screen? Leave a comment below.