How to Enable Two-Step Verification on WhatsApp
WhatsApp, as a most popular messaging app, enjoys popularity worldwide over 1.2 billion users. However, before Two-Step Verification being introduced, its security was far from reliable and reassuring. Originally, WhatsApp is registered with one's phone number, which is true of the presence. Though the account is protected with a password known by yourself, it's still a piece of cake for others to break in your account.
Since your account is associated and bundled with your phone number, it's easy to reset your WhatsApp password via the phone number. As a matter of facts, it's a terrible bug. One can easily log in your WhatsApp and browse through your chats even though he doesn't know your password in advance. The only condition is to own your smart phone or SIM card. That's why Two-Step Verification kicks in, adding an extra security layer for your WhatsApp.
- Part 1: What is WhatsApp Two-Step Verification?
- Part 2: How to Use WhatsApp Verification?
- Part 3: Extra Notes and Tips When Using Two-Step Verification
'Two-step verification is an optional feature that adds more security to your account. When you have two-step verification enabled, any attempt to verify your phone number on WhatsApp must be accompanied by the six-digit passcode that you created using this feature.'
- Quoted from WhatsApp.com
Two-Step Verification on WhatsApp differs from that of other apps. You don't have to enter the six-digit code every time you launch WhatsApp. As an additional safeguard, it will only be prompted when you attempt to do things like resetting password, re-login account after long and so on. It would not be bothering you every day.
Now, let's see how to enable this feature on your WhatsApp. In order to enable "Two Step Verification" in WhatsApp, please launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to the integrated "Settings" panel. Then, tap on "Account" and choose "Two-Step verification" option.
When you tap "Enable" button, you will be asked to enter a passcode with six digits. Please make sure that the passcode is memorable. Also, it's an optional step to enter a recovery email, which is strongly recommended. During Two-Step Verification setup, this email address will not be verified, so make sure you type it in correctly.
Note that a recovery email is able to disable Two-Step Verification when you accidentally forget it.
1. A recovery email address is of vital important. If you are locked out of your account by accident, WhatsApp will be able to send a recovery email to this chosen address. Therefore, the Two-Step Verification will be off and you're allowed to access your account. You can take it as a fallback in case you cannot remember the passcode.
2. If you receive a recovery email from WhatsApp but you never make this attempt, please do not click in links in emails and ignore it. Once you click in links and the feature will be disabled, which would make your account exposed to the potential of being stolen.
3. As an additional safeguard, WhatsApp will not allow you to verify your phone number within seven days of using the service without the passcode. This means if you don't choose a recovery email, it will be impossible to verify your account without your code within seven days. After the seven day period has elapsed, you can access your WhatsApp account again (even without a code) but all messages will be deleted.
4. Please note that your account will be deleted if your phone number is verified on WhatsApp after 30 days of not using a passcode. In this case, I'm afraid that you will have to set up a whole new account instead.
Hope you can get a further knowledge of WhatsApp Two-Step Verification from this article. We provide more tips and solutions for WhatsApp-related problems like WhatsApp Crashing Problem, Transfer Chats to email and more. Please take a look and enjoy yourself.
Thank you for providing feedback!
- WhatApp Transfer
- WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
- Transfer WhatsApp Chats via Email
- WhatsApp from iPhone to Android
- WhatsApp from Android to Android
- WhatsApp Backup
- WhataApp Recovery